Re: [Tigers] Removing frozen pistons

To: <johnp@ciseast.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Removing frozen pistons
From: "Dave Munroe" <dave@munroe.ca>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 08:56:46 -0400
Cc: tigers@autox.team.net
John:

If I understand correctly that you were beating on the rod cap mating
surface with a hammer and screwdriver, I don't think that's a good idea. I
would use a large piece of wood as suggested by Mike, cut to fit the top of
the piston. Rotate the crank off the rod, put a rag between it and the crank
journal, and beat on the top of the piston until it breaks loose. (after
soaking it in the acetone/ATF mix of course).

If you can't beat the piston all the way out because of rod/crank
interference (can't remember), once the piston rings are broken loose, use a
wooden drift, a dowel or old broom handle shaved to get to the underside of
the piston head and beat it out through the top.

Shouldn't mess with the rod cap surfaces unless you are going to replace
them. Hard rubber or dead-blow hammers are good if there is little
resistance to movement once broken loose.

Dave