[Tigers] TAC-ability

To: Bob Dixon <bobdixon@frii.com>
Subject: [Tigers] TAC-ability
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 20:57:58 -0800
Cc: Tiger e-mail List <tigers@autox.team.net>
References: <bbe2fbc7cbed5575a2fc567b86d72081@frii.com> <319a178ee7b5437cc0219a185e2cbbb0@frii.com> s=q20121106; t=1360817880; bh=7xUEthxYGNC/pEWABcd1NEvEcfHXNCGWlEL/UEHKsWU=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:Date:From:MIME-Version:To:Subject: Content-Type; b=kPQONe11a7x4pARsxOzfRTMT7VaVHf6E7w8eRRQgAlB7YHiAT0d5FAjyRQouGNxKz Zt0qddJTUorfjxRUw+GuHw/7VfB+S5RDiD+ddE1IaUwSEFR7S5P+FTaeKgyuSenu2u JqfrT+S4jEUDnlbeoSQ/efzY/cAmWSwPxvf6xyk4eCrLLDVONuh+d0uVA3LSajz2E4 1+dQp6RP6WKOVa2s98bw+c9nvYARJfcIn55fa9cnxqbvjt/uyDQ5KeGv/2Lqjixf9E rRXgb2OAU/N6GCriwJRXmNApEzGhXnZvhbtaIcFc6tB0LzSjdL5SAoIJ7sFss6aymG YK1erODggpzDA==
On 2/13/2013 3:16 PM, Bob Dixon wrote:
> I suspect the answers are 'no' but here goes:
>
> If a dumb-ass paint shop sandblasted the vin plate off a Tiger, is
> there any way to legally replace it? Could a Tiger be TAC'd without
> it's original vin plate? If a new VIN is issued by the state, could a
> Tiger still be TAC'd?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob
> Currently Tigerless :-(

Its nice to know that the world wide training process for our TAC
Inspectors is complete enough that they, and other owners on this list,
not necessarily officially associated with the TAC process, can respond
positively about your request. Officially, TAC Inspectors, trained by
the STOA TAC Committee, can process any chassis, under appropriate
contitions, to attempt to determine if it was originally produced as a "
Sunbeam Tiger". It is obviously difficult to locate (for filing
purposes) a chassis that has no remaining identification. But that
situation is rarely the case. The chassis in most cases has the
differential and or the transmission, both of which still have
individual serial numbers which can lead us to a matching VIN number,
which we can trace from original Jensen Production records. A bare
shell, with no other components is TAC-able, but the question and
problem is: where do we file it in our data base, based on original VIN
numbers?

So if you are contemplating the purchase of a Tiger with a missing or
partially destroyed VIN Tag, you should be more concerned with the
aspect of (is this a real Tiger chassis) than the readability of the
remaining VIN Tag. State issued ID may affect the value of the chassis,
but it does not disrupt our criteria for chassis inspection.

Since we have already Authenticated almost 1000 original Tiger chassis,
the question may already have been solved. Did you look next to the
wiper motor mounting location on the inner cowl to see if it has already
been Authenticated (TACed)?

STOA TAC Senior Inspector #1

--
Tom Hall