Re: [Tigers] door adjustment

To: kevin beck <kevinteresa.beck74@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] door adjustment
From: Jay Laifman <jay.laifman@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 07:42:45 -0700
Cc: tigers@autox.team.net
Adjusting doors is obviously terribly tricky.

First, note that when the cars were first made, the doors were already
assembled before any primer or paint.  So, a common problem is that guys take
off their doors, and the door frame and door sides and each side of the hinges
get primered and painted.  Four total surfaces, for eight "shims" of primer
and paint, if only one layer of each.  This causes the entire door to be moved
backwards towards the rear of the car.  In my case, it was enough thickness
for the tip of the chrome latch to hit the inside of the door lock mechanism.

Second, the hinges and the door frame/door itself, are not parallel.  As you
orient the hinge, or slide it outwards, that in essence widens the hinge.  If
you were to slide the bottom hinge out and the top hinge in (on both the door
frame and the door), that would cause the bottom rear of the door to lift up.
But, of course, it will at the same time do all sorts of other changes.

As I said, terribly tricky...

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/jay.laifman@gmail.com