Re: [Tigers] K&N Airfilter

To: Brent Edinger <banana111@msn.com> s=q20121106; t=1367352389; bh=+TEk2WsZTbk0vw5wmPAh/MyS5q+OZ+Hzb7IgdhA6lnc=; h=Received:Received:Date:From:To:Message-ID:Subject:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=bY8t+XvnCLSwUW8U0HUvWWneraCpUz3qSrVg/zFvW+X8LJ2ahrv4Wb1uP69lg4ubi 9aIvZRcMsfbChczlxlkFVMVNx87nRxM8FSBvwyrchdoQSBBn4sGfAw+/b5ErOBDCdP oxcUDASxapj0C2g87NilDGLIDw6B+uX9FJ09x/AKwZX//4xJyvYa308ntKnuDpsJMa H/H8k2Y/tQiwGhdDjvX/dvEA/4ugTutfH8nwVidKtBl3LzChPx4BG6NNIDNr5k3rsH 5LPy6KN1QwAGeG1OW8S8p3Cax9U0pkhQ9jvagko/ZPiPrIf4lGiZ7fqc20bu6oxEeG eCLrYaSNQg4aA==
Subject: Re: [Tigers] K&N Airfilter
From: genepadgett@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 20:06:29 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: tigers@autox.team.net
Here is the link to the K&N site and the X-stream tab
http://www.knfilters.com/universal/x-stream.htm

Looking at the installed height numbers, I think you will have a problem
squeezing in one. I also have a LAT factory hood. With the stock filter and
housing installed, I put lumps of modeling clay around the sides and front of
the factory cleaner top. With a 1.5 inch high filter element, I did not find I
had enough extra room. Depending on how high your manifold raises the carb,
your results will vary from mine.

Keep in mind that unless you are running with the rear of the hood raised, you
will need to allow some space for the air to get into the top element. How much
to deduct for that is your call. I considered the dropped base option to see if
I could make that work. Fort some reason I thought I would not be able to do
that, but do not recall why.

What I ended up doing doing was making my on lid to use with the stock base and
grafted on an 11 inch round X-stream top. When installed, I had about 1/2 inch
clearance to the hood at the highest point. The 11 inch lid has an outer ring
about 1 inch wide, so the air cleaner element itself is only about 9 inches in
diameter. The center section for the hold down bolt is fairly large and also
cuts down on the effective filter area. Just for cosmetics I did trim off the
metal flange overhang at the front and back. You can do that without getting
into the filtering element part.

I am currently looking into trimming off the part of the 11 inch lid that
overlays the top of the standard filter element. I do end up cutting int the
element to do that. I have a plan on how to reseal that cut into part. The goal
is to get that to sit down inside the standard element to gain some vertical
space for a taller standard element. Since the top 3/8 inch or so of the
standard element does not flow air (due to sealing material) I am not really
loosing any filtering element area on the standard element. That all is a WIP.

I do worry a bit about what would happen to my OEM fiberglass hood if I ever
got a back fire through the top of the carb. I plan to some how epoxy on an
aluminum plate over the top of the filter element in that area, just to be
safe(r).

If you learn of a more elegant solution, please be sure to let all of us know.

Gene

PS: Regarding Theo's speculation about a 9 inch lid possibly working. I have
looked at that one as well. Keep in mind that the 1 inch flange cuts the actual
element area down to only a 7 inch diameter circle. The center hold down
section is about a 2 or 2.5 inch diameter circle. Not a lot of element area
left. Probably be better off just getting a 1/2 inch taller round element.