Re: [Tigers] Carb install - at least it's not leaking

To: <jay.laifman@gmail.com>, <michael@michaelshortt.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Carb install - at least it's not leaking
From: Don Antilla <fast427@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 14:59:08 -0400
Cc: "tigers@autox.team.net Den" <tigers@autox.team.net>
I'd do a vacuum check with a gauge plumbed into the intake manifold. You
should measure around 19 inches negative pressure if your intake and carb
gaskets are all sealed properly.

It sounds like your idle circuit is not functioning. Did you set your two
idle adjustments screws?
If not, turn both idle slotted screws in (clockwise) gently until they
bottom out (do not force them).
Then turn each out (counterclockwise) for 1.5 turns for the initial
setting.

If the idle settles down, good.
If not, and if your vacuum reading was around 19 inches, then adjust your
2000  RPM down until it almost stalls, then turn your idle screws OUT
(counterclockwise) and see if the engine sound better.

NEXT- if the above checks do not get you on the right track, the idle
circuits are sensitive to wet fuel setting in the float bowl.
For the idle condition, it all runs off the front Primary float bowl.
You need to have your wet fuel level at the right point so the vacuum
effect on your booster venturis suck a bit of fuel down into the intake
manifold.
Be sure that your gaskets on your booster venturis is intact, and that the
screw holding it into the carb body is snug.

You do have a Ford carb- not a Holley, right?
I'm assuming you have a 4 barrel, but the same principles apply to the
original 2 barrel Ford carburetor.

LAST for now; please check your accelerator circuit.
With the engine OFF, grab the carb throttle lever and twist it. You should
see fuel squirting through the accelerator pump jets into the carb
venturis. If not, you may hav ea defective accel pump diaphragm or perhaps
you misplaced the little check ball under the booster venturi assembly, or
the accel pump plumbing is clogged.
These last checks don't correlate well to the problem you reported, but it
is a good idea to check this anyway.

If you want to talk with me send me a note and give me your phone number.
Regards,

Don Antilla