Re: [Tigers] Fuel Pressure

To: Joel Martin <jmartiniii@yahoo.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Fuel Pressure
From: Don Antilla <fast427@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 16:06:13 -0400
* Joel: I own a Series 200 Griffith with a stroked 289  so it is now 347
inches.
I use a Holley Red electric pump which produces 7 PSI
I have a slightly tuned up HiPo 289 Autolite carb and I do not have any
flooding problem.

I took a lot of care to assure my float level was per the book.
My process was:
* Remove the top from the carb
* Note the fuel level and measure the distance from the top surface of the
carb to the wet fuel in the bowl. I forgot the value, but it is found easily
in the Ford publications. If you can't find the value please let me know.
You MUST be certain to not have a wet fuel level higher than specified
because the booster venturis will then be sucked into the two secondary
venturis.
Next:
* Turn your electric fuel pump ON and observe if the level of the fuel
rises. It shouldn't take too long for the level to stabilize.
* When the pump is running, use a flashlght (LED type preferred. NEVER bring
an incandescent bulb anywhere near fuel since a drop on the globe can result
in a fire/explosion) to look into the secondaries and see if any fuel is
seeping past the booster rings ('venturis). Also look to see if any fuel is
seeping past the booster venturi assembly where it is screwed to the carb
body.(Be sure you have a gasket under your booster venturi assembly)
* When the fuel pump changes tone, or when the level stabilizes, measure the
wet fuel level with respect to the top of the carb body. It needs to be
precisely on the money for the carb to run right.
* Remember to be sure that you have the little spring retainer piece on the
float pivot/ needle & seat brass piece. If the little retention spring is
missing, it well could cause the needle to rise and excess fuel to leak in
substantially. Be sure the lock spring is engaged onto the brass recess.
Hope this helps.

Don A