[Tigers] OFF TOPIC - modern starters and clutches

To: "Tiger's Den" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] OFF TOPIC - modern starters and clutches
From: Jay Laifman <jay.laifman@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 08:18:10 -0700
You have been warned that this is off topic.  So delete now if you'd be
offended by non-Tiger emails.

There are two things about today's cars that has been baffling me. The
first is the cars that shut down rather than idle. How the heck do starters
and flywheel gears last from that overload of use? And, I thought starting
a car is the biggest drain on the battery. How does the alternatory and
battery keep up?  I mean, if I turned off the Tiger at every stoplight and
in traffic, I'm not sure my starter, battery or car would make it to the
destination.  [ok, see, some Tiger content]
The next is the clutchless manual transmissions. I think the dual
clutch/dual main shafts is genius, really genius - so simple, yet such a
difference. But, how do those cars inch along in stop and go traffic and
not destroy the clutch in a single day's drive?
Any ideas?

Jay