Re: [Tigers] Frozen Calipers

To: Carl Halgren <cghalgren@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Frozen Calipers
From: Jay Laifman <jay.laifman@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 13:55:43 -0700
Cc: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Everyone has their special chemicals.  I bought a can that I can't get over
the counter that I've had work when all others have failed.  If you are in
So. Cal., you can have some.

One other thing to do is to apply force on the bolt while banging on the
base with the threaded hole.  The twist and shock can help bring it free.
The best is the be able to bang on opposite ends of the base at once.  But,
I don't think there is room on this one for that.  Also, I realize how
close quarters this is.  It's hard enough to get a wrench in there, let
along bang away with and hammer.  This task probably really needs two
people, which is even harder in the confined location.

You may consider pulling off the entire axle and taking it to a shop with
an impact wrench.  Or maybe it's finally time to break down and buy that
compresser and impact wrench you've always wanted.  Then again, I'm not
sure an impact wrench will fit in there.

Personally, I've never been able to get anything hot enough to seem to make
a difference.  Maybe I need more than the butane torch I got at the local
hardware store.

Finally, if you are in California, please be sure that car has lots of
heavy duty stuff underneath it so that all this banging doesn't knock the
car off the jack stands and on to you!!!!