Re: [Tigers] Header bolts locking strategies

To: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Header bolts locking strategies
From: "Dave Munroe" <dave@munroe.ca>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 14:03:51 -0300
 In a word Theo, Yes. Must have had brain "lock". Shoulda thought of that
myself! Thanks for the boot.

My headers require that six of these bolts (three on each side) have very
small heads to clear the pipes. Currently I have standard bolts in these
locations that have the heads reduced to take the open end of a 7/16"
wrench. This is not a satisfactory solution as you cannot get sufficient
torque on them to keep them tight. Lock wire might fix this. The rest of the
bolts are ARP socket head manifold bolts. The walls of the socket end of
these bolts are too thin to reduce enough to fit by grinding. What I need
are socket head bolts that have a reduced head diameter with the next size
down Allen key. A strange bolt for sure, but I have not been successful in
finding such an animal on the WWW. Any ideas?

Also, is it a bad idea to keep driving the car with a leak at the
cyl.head/manifold joint? Any danger of damaging the head or header surfaces?

Thanks for your help!

Dave