Re: [Tigers] Evans coolant

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Evans coolant
From: Alex Haugland <ahauglan@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 08:24:29 -0800
I saw the same episode and have been doing a bit of research into the
Evans coolant, contemplating it for my Tiger amongst several of my other
British cars.  The biggest strength is that it has a much higher boiling
point than water/antifreeze.  On the downside, it's also less thermally
efficient, meaning that it doesn't cool as well.  The balance seems to
be that your engine will run hotter, but as you don't have localized
boiling and don't approach the boiling point of the coolant, you don't
overheat in the classic sense.  A secondary benefit is that it runs in a
non-pressurized system, reducing concerns about things like how well the
heater core designed for ~8 PSI handles the ~13 PSI of the Tiger cooling
system.  The coolant does still expand noticably as it heats up and an
expansion tank is required (not an issue on the Tiger, but it is on some
of my other British cars).  The question for me is what concerns, if any
does the engine running at a higher temperature create, especially with
concerns of vapour lock, etc.  Does anyone have practical experience
running it in their Tiger?

--Alex Haugland
B9470334LRXFE