Re: [Tigers] brake upgrade

To: owain.lloyd@gmail.com, tym2@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] brake upgrade
From: mwood24020@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2014 18:56:38 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: tigers@autox.team.net
I'd say those are all very good questions to ask.

Personally, I don't see
the value in going to rear discs, unless the
car has suspension modification
that affects better anti dive
characteristics or the car is being used on
road course with heat being
an issue. I like the idea of vented rotors and
better calipers on the
front, but for many, as Owain points out, just going
to better pads
might be enough. I just swapped out the OEM type Repco pads
that I had
installed to get my car back on the road (hey, they were on the
shelf
and new) for a set of Hawk HPS pads. I went with the HPS because I'm
not going to put enough heat in the brakes to need much ceiling and
they
have very good cold bite. Noticeable difference in performance and
feel
compared to the Repco's, to say the least. I also flushed the
system with
Motul brake fluid, with which I've always had good luck.

On Wilwood, their
calipers aren't really all that wonderful. They
aren't particularly rigid,
exhibiting too much flex, which leads to a
poor pedal, pad taper/uneven wear
and other issues. Won't notice any of
this on the street, but if you're
going to pay up for aftermarket