Re: [Tigers] Power Shifts

To: Sandy <sganz@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Power Shifts
From: Owain Lloyd <owain.lloyd@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2014 15:17:12 -0500
Cc: Tiger's Den <tigers@autox.team.net>
i suppose the level of the 'thunk' will depend on the ratios and the rear
end.  but with a 5+:1 rear end with tight LSD in a rally car, a few hundred
Nm of torque and sticky tarmac tires, the drive shafts are subjected to
considerable torque going into 2nd and 3rd. you'd have to be oblivious to
not feel some mechanical sympathy!

on a related subject, I remember there being some source of better half
shafts for the tiger.  I'm getting concerned for mine with the new motor
and would like to preemptively upgrade them over the winter.   any
recommendations?

On Sun, Nov 2, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Sandy <sganz@pacbell.net> wrote:

> I have a dog box in my Mustang (Tex/GForce T101A) and I can tell you that
> it is nothing short of amazing on the track. It does not mater what you do
> if you pull that handle it will shift (up or down). I had pulled out a
> Tremec TKO which was poor shifting at high RPM. When I first hit the track
> with it and shifted I thought I broke something. They CLUNK with/without
> the clutch and shift like lightning.   Sorta' like an old outboard engine
> going into gear... In any case I'm sure 2 things that don't like the
> transmission, the thrust bearing and the rear end!
>
> And just like Owain said if feels like something is going to break, but
> the trade off is shifting a SBF past 7500 RPM only operator error is left
> for chance :)
>
> The gear whine is cool too if you have straight cut gears. Used to be
> plenty of T101A from NASCAR and they were a good buy as many were sold by
> Tex/GForce  as rebuilt and you could pick any ratio and came with shifters.
> They I have a spare and thought about the potential in the tiger but they
> are too wide and big for the tiger, would be a hand full but would be very
> cool.
>
> Sandy
>

> On 11/2/2014 9:31 AM, Owain Lloyd wrote:
>
>> David Higgins once told me he never uses the clutch except for starting
>> off.  Even with a synchromesh box.  This was several years ago and I since
>> have started doing that a lot in some cars. If the engine is responsive
>> and
>> the gears close together and you are intimate with the car it's quite
>> easy.
>>    Depending on the box, it's often possible to shift extremely quickly.
>>
>> Of course, dog boxes are designed for that and you just bang the gears.
>> I'd be surprised if Tom Patton's car doesn't have a dog box.  If you've
>> only ever experienced synchromesh boxes, a dog box is quite a shock.
>> Sounds and feels like the diff is going to fall out every time you shift.
>> It's a wonderful mechanical feeling!
>>
>> On Sunday, November 2, 2014, Ron Fraser <rfraser@bluefrog.com> wrote:
>>
>>  Robert
>>>          If you watch races from the UK and Australia you will see
>>> sequential
>>> gear box shifting.  The shifter is pushed forward or pulled back to
>>> change
>>> gears.  I believe some of those racing gear boxes do not require
>>> clutching
>>> just a blip of the throttle is enough to change gears.
>>>
>>>          I once saw a magazine article that put a round plate on an
>>> American
>>> 4 speed with cams and slots to make it into a sequential type shifter.