Re: [Tigers] Tigers Digest, Vol 7, Issue 185

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>, <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tigers Digest, Vol 7, Issue 185
From: Darrell Mountjoy via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 15:33:49 -0700
Theo,

This sounds suspiciously like an air pocket.  I've had the same scenario on
new motor builds.  Be cautious and make no assumptions.

Darrell

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 15:29:30 -0600 (MDT)
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
To: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Running hot... new 5.0

Hi all,
Fired up the new 5.0 this morning and it seems to be OK for temperature for
a while (around 180 on the gauge), then suddenly the gauge takes off to the
right, 200 plus degrees, and it will start spitting out of the radiator cap
vent. Shutting the engine down for a few minutes and then firing it back up
gives normal-ish temperatures again. This happens out on the road as well -
I've managed a couple of 15 minute test drives but several times had the
temperature suddenly rise under light load (50-60 mph with some
accelerations).

It's a Ford Motorsport X302D, with Edelbrock water pump and Griffin aluminum
radiator, 14" stainless flex fan with shroud. The engine shipped with a
Holley Street Avenger carb and MSD distributor so that's what is on it. 32
or 34 degrees total advance, I put in the medium springs so it's all in by
about 3000 RPM.

Any ideas? I'm hoping it's just localized air pockets that will burp their
way out but it would be nice to get away from the ragged edge of puking
green stuff. Still planning to bring it to TU next weekend but I'm
trailering to get there.

Thanks,
Theo