Re: [Tigers] 260 for the 21 century

To: Tom Witt <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] 260 for the 21 century
From: Scott Hutchinson via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 18:18:38 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Cc: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
In my case it was mission creep.

Needed a throw out bearing.  Pulled engine.

Thought maybe a new clutch.

Then,  valve guides would be a good idea since there is no more lead. Screw in
studs are a great way to strengthen the top end.

At work a good friend wiped a cam on a 69 Camaro, so I thought a roller would
be good.

Gee that f4b on eBay looks nice.....

I'm sure my story is unique....

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 19, 2015, at 1:15 PM, Tom Witt via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
> wrote:
>
> I've notice over the years a desire for many to build (up) a 260 engine in
> the quest for more power. While I can grasp the desire to keep an original
> car - original, it seems the 260 no longer remains original with the
> modifications applied. So, I ask with nothing more than curiosity (no
> condemnation) why the pursuit?  Is it the mentioned desire for originality
> (at least to the block/heads that came in the car)? Is it simply the quest
> for the most power out of a 260 (only)? Or???
>
> The reason I ask is that my overly practical, frugal nature sees a well
> chosen, $150 junk yard roller cam 302 as producing a similar power result for
> significantly less cost.  Now, I do have a 63 Rambler with an abysmal 6
> cylinder motor (cast-in intake trough). And, yes, I've wonder just what can
> be gotten out of that with modifications. But actually doing it goes against
> my practical/frugal nature.
>
> Anyway, just curious as to why the 260 over a 302 build if power is the
> desired result. Especially with the parts scarcity and additional costs.

Unless you are the addressee (or authorized to receive for the addressee), you
may not use, copy or disclose to anyone the message or any information
contained in the message. If you have received the message in error,  please
advise the sender by reply e-mail and delete the message.