[Tigers] MG Midget rack and stock steering arms

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] MG Midget rack and stock steering arms
From: genepadgett--- via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 03:12:18 +0000 (UTC)
Thread-index: 8zZCjkDuoCGIH9U2SFhTx9yDUR40sg== s=q20140121; t=1435029138; bh=vTReGvjnoY/Pn6yosebCg+aVknpXMc1COFCS7aJZm54=; h=Received:Received:Date:From:To:Message-ID:Subject:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=LSk9fDEeh1EHTiOkTrqHkUwc1ZkwYUDXPucPbx16qFQXH2tFYxALrrkMTCG11fS5H YFd+Tz7g/60mNEAz2MlFzXe0BQuaLtxmdd+8a6LfI9muhQaCNUJpeIJKQCA5xjKNaN 1zJiirFb5UTS0012nLdtJEaebudtDHEBpv+qTWqbx7gbPj8S1Xkak8KAHBvEWsw/e1 x9U20FtUr8wn4SDScMqgWtIPystgHiut86Dk6KMN4SvfTE+gB8o9byVN38Qi9B8MPt ngBM47tvryim593+xgAseQh99b3H5cBJrtz6XD5MGJdwDEq39G1gTdT9Jkb0RAJ9cN Tn8ps8vmzcvLA==

------=_Part_32923646_66030929.1435029138017

Hi All,

I currently have installed Dale A's MG Midget rack and MGB steering arms
conversion. I have run this way for several years now and am generally
satisfied with everything but the larger turning circle. I am considering
keeping the setup I have but going back to the shorter stock steering arms to
tighten the turning circle. Is anyone running Dale A's conversion with the
stock steering arms?

If so are you able to use the Alpine tie rod ends from the conversion in the
stock Tiger steering arms or is the taper on the bolt shaft different? Other
than the fact that Alpine tie rod ends come in LH and RH versions are they the
same as Tiger tie rod ends? I have test fitted a Tiger tie rod end on a spare
Midget rack and the threads seem to be the same. Of course the inner tie rod
shaft on the MG rack is shorter than the Tigers so I still need to use Dale A's
adjustable coupler (which is desirable for alignment purposes).

Do the stock steering arms mount as originally oriented left and right or do
you need to flip them from side to side like you do with the MGB steering arms
in Dale A's conversion??

Any other issues I have not thought of?

I have measured the lock to lock travel in both the MG rack and the Tiger rack
and they are the same. I trealize that the stock steering arms will negate the
ackerman angle improvement, such as it is, in Dale A's kit mod. But my thinking
is I am no worse off than stock and I like the much quicker lock to lock
movement in the MG rack versus stock (2.7 turns vs 3.7?). Steering effort may
go up I guess...?

Thanks in advance for all advice and experiences shared.

Gene

------=_Part_32923646_66030929.1435029138017

lor: #000000"><div aria-label=3D"Compose body">Hi All,</div><div aria-label=
ve installed Dale A's MG Midget rack and MGB steering arms conversion. &nbs=
p; &nbsp;I have run this way for several years now and am generally satisfi=
ed with everything but the larger turning circle. &nbsp; I am considering k=
eeping the setup I have but going back to the shorter stock steering arms t=
o tighten the turning circle. &nbsp;Is anyone running Dale A's conversion w=
v><div aria-label=3D"Compose body">If so are you able to use the Alpine tie=
 rod ends from the conversion in the stock Tiger steering arms or is the ta=
per on the bolt shaft different? &nbsp; &nbsp;Other than the fact that Alpi=
ne tie rod ends come in LH and RH versions are they the same as Tiger tie r=
od ends? &nbsp; I have test fitted a Tiger tie rod end on a spare Midget ra=
ck and the threads seem to be the same. &nbsp; Of course the inner tie rod =
shaft on the MG rack is shorter than the Tigers so I still need to use Dale=
 A's adjustable coupler (which is desirable for alignment purposes).</div><=
Do the stock steering arms mount as originally oriented left and right or d=
o you need to flip them from side to side like you do with the &nbsp;MGB st=
eering arms in Dale A's conversion??</div><div aria-label=3D"Compose body">=
Compose body">I have measured the lock to lock travel in both the MG rack a=
nd the Tiger rack and they are the same. &nbsp; I trealize that the stock s=
teering arms will negate the ackerman angle improvement, such as it is, in =
Dale A's kit mod. &nbsp;But my thinking is I am no worse off than stock and=
 I like the much quicker lock to lock movement in the MG rack versus stock =
(2.7 turns vs 3.7?). &nbsp; Steering effort may go up I guess...?</div><div=
nks in advance for all advice and experiences shared.</div><div aria-label=
------=_Part_32923646_66030929.1435029138017--

--===============8708420181698086109==