Re: [Tigers] Blower/Heater

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Blower/Heater
From: Tom Witt via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 12:29:08 -0800

--===============2804450820850392992==
 boundary="----=_NextPart_000_00C1_01D152B4.FE65CB50"

------=_NextPart_000_00C1_01D152B4.FE65CB50
        charset="utf-8"

Slow is a relative term so it may be that it is running as fast as it =
can =E2=80=93 or not.  If the bushings in the motor are gunked up that =
can slow the motor. First I=E2=80=99d lubricate them to see if it helps. =
 A number of people use the MG Midget/MGB fan motor. It is shorter than =
the stock motor, but if I recall correctly from the CAT shop notes it is =
stated to be faster. While my memory is from years ago I recall it =
seeming to turn faster than the original motor. I doubt because of the =
limited space the heater radiator can be improved.

Beyond that it is probably R&D for a motor/fan improvement.  Thankfully =
heater motors are very adaptable if you have a decent assortment of =
tools.  If it is any inspiration I use the stated the MG Midget =
motor/fan on the heater in my Turbo Pinto.  The original fan motor =
intrudes the engine bay and interferes with the wastegate down spout. In =
this case the shorter motor/fan provides the clearance. I have to run =
the motor backwards and the MG fan is smaller than the Pinto housing but =
it still gets the job done =E2=80=93 for So. Cal..

A thought just occurred to me. If the fan motor was put on a dual pole, =
reversing switch on hot days the interior air could be blown across the =
heater core and exit externally.  This might be helpful for over heating =
issues =E2=80=93 for the car and the driver.