Re: [Tigers] Mechanical Performance Questions... perhaps for B9471136

To: "'Larry Mayfield'" <drmayf@mayfco.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Mechanical Performance Questions... perhaps for B9471136
From: Mark Rense via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 17:46:54 -0400
Mayf,
I've built 5 stroker engines out of 289 5-bolt blocks. They have all been
331 (3.25" stroke) but one 347. I always use a girdle to add strength to the
main bearings although not really required for less than 400 hp. Lots of
different cam/head combinations, the latest one is a full roller valve train
with Ford Motorsport X-307 aluminum heads. You will not need to do any
clearance machining with a 331, but notching is required with most 347 kits
(depends on which kit and which rod length is included). My next one will be
with Trick Flow aluminum heads.

As for rear ends, unless you are going to an AOD you will need a pretty tall
gear, I am using a posi 2.72:1 gear with the Toploader wide ratio gear set,
works great with a 400 hp 331.

Yes the Dana 44 carriers are different for tall vs. short gears, I believe
the break is at 3.54:1, they are different thicknesses where the ring gear
bolts up. I don't know if the posi units follow that same rule but the guys
at Yukon Gear can help you with all the details.

Can's help you on automatics.

Mark