Re: [Tigers] Tiger Fulcrum Pins

To: Dave Munroe <dave@munroe.ca>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger Fulcrum Pins
From: Jay Laifman <jay.laifman@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2020 09:00:54 -0700
Cc: rootes1 via Tigers <Tigers@autox.team.net>

--0000000000006c4c4705a85de2e9

My dad was looking at these with another Tiger person.  I don't remember
who.  But I seem to recall that some of them, even though they looked
great, were flawed in their metallurgy.  It's up to you.  But unless others
have already confirmed the quality, I would consider having them checked
anyway and not simply trusting how expensive they are.

FWIW, on my Alpine, which spent its entire life in So Cal, I discovered at
some point that the rubber in my bushings was not just protruding, but
fully gone on two of them!  Rest assured, the Alpine and Tiger both have
good ones now.  Dan Walters had the right jig to push them in and out
without putting side load on the A arm itself.

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 8:49 AM Dave Munroe <dave@munroe.ca> wrote:

> FYI y'all:
>
> After 15 years and roughly 17,000 miles, during a routine service (oil
> change and filter, grease etc) I was surprised to find the Fulcrum Pin
> bushings protruding from their mountings on my Mark 1A.
> Thinking back, the Tiger had endured a very rough trip around the Cabot
> Trail during a period when some serious road construction maintenance was
> ongoing, resulting in some heavy duty pothole craters that gave the
> suspension a serious beating. Regardless, they had to be replaced, and
> knowing the Pin reputation for failure, I decided to replace them as well.
> I couldn't find a source in North America, but was told to contact J.O.
> Engineering in the U.K., who produce them. I was surprised and impressed
> with the obvious quality of these Pins. (See Photo)
> They are quite spendy, however, but from the look of them, worth the
> money, setting me back ~$150 CAD each, (roughly $110 USD) including
> shipping. (Quality has a price tag!)
> They are no longer available from J.O.. They are now being sold by
> sunbeamalpinetigerspares.com in the U.K
> The service was extraordinary, arriving in Canada the next day via "UPS
> Expedited". Your mileage may vary.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dave Munroe in Nova Scotia
> B382000450 LRXFE

--0000000000006c4c4705a85de2e9

.=C2=A0 I don&#39;t remember who.=C2=A0 But I seem to recall that some of t=
hem, even though they looked great, were flawed in their metallurgy.=C2=A0 =
It&#39;s up to you.=C2=A0 But unless others have already confirmed the=C2=
=A0quality, I would consider having them checked anyway and not simply trus=
pent its entire life in So Cal, I discovered at some point that the rubber =
in my bushings was not just protruding, but fully gone on two of them!=C2=
=A0 Rest assured, the Alpine and Tiger both have good ones now.=C2=A0 Dan W=
alters had the right jig to push them in and out without putting side load =
ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 8:49 AM Dave Munroe &lt;<=
ockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-lef=
t:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div class=
iv><div class=3D"gmail_default">After 15 years and roughly 17,000 miles, du=
ring a routine service (oil change and filter, grease etc) I was surprised =
to find the Fulcrum Pin bushings protruding from their mountings on my Mark=
 1A.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default">Thinking back, the Tiger had endured=
 a very rough trip around the Cabot Trail during a period when some serious=
 road construction maintenance was ongoing, resulting in some heavy=C2=A0du=
ty pothole=C2=A0craters that gave the suspension a serious beating. Regardl=
ess, they had to be replaced, and knowing the Pin reputation for failure, I=
 decided to replace them as well.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default">I could=
n&#39;t find a source in North America, but was told to contact J.O. Engine=
ering in the U.K., who produce them. I was surprised and impressed with the=
 obvious quality of these Pins. (See Photo)</div><div class=3D"gmail_defaul=
t">They are quite spendy, however, but from the look of them, worth=C2=A0th=
e money, setting me back ~$150 CAD each, (roughly $110 USD) including shipp=
ing. (Quality has a price tag!)</div><div class=3D"gmail_default">They are =
no longer available from J.O.. They are now being sold by=C2=A0</div><div c=
lass=3D"gmail_default"><a href=3D"http://sunbeamalpinetigerspares.com"; targ=
et=3D"_blank">sunbeamalpinetigerspares.com</a> in the U.K</div><div class=
=3D"gmail_default">The service was extraordinary, arriving in Canada the ne=
xt day via &quot;UPS Expedited&quot;. Your mileage may vary.</div><div clas=
div>
m.net</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers"; rel=3D"noreferrer=
" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers</a> <a href=3D"htt=