Re: [Tigers] Auto transporters

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Auto transporters
From: Tom Witt via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2020 08:22:09 -0700

--------------8BEF960C15E83036D7667C1B

 �� I have heard similar stories. The car comes on/off many transports
always in search of a driver "going that way." And it seems cars can get
left in yards because the route is nothing that any driver wants. After
a period of time they accumulate "storage" fees.� Then there is the
extra fee because the car wouldn't start (easily accomplished by leaving
the radio on on the last leg - thus it never was a "real" problem). So,
yes, do be diligent.

 �� When I became aware of that nonsense I flew to the car location. It
was somewhat inspired by the fact the seller worked for Southwest and he
gave me a free buddy pass. But even there I started reading horror
story's about truck trailer rentals. In my case the lowly U-Haul did
provide me with a 7,000 mile, 10 foot box truck (they don't rent pick
ups with their trailers). But I read about people wanting/needing
nothing more that a 10 foot truck and instead getting a 325,000 mile, 24
foot box truck that broke down mid-route. If I factored the need to have
bought my own plane ticket it probably would have cost $1.50-$2.00 a
mile to transport by myself - one way.

On 6/26/2020 7:47 AM, steve wick wrote:
> I'm not sure of the specific company (I can get it if needed) but
> beware of "brokers". My son had a Jeep transported and went through a
> brokerage that contracts with independent drivers. They quoted a
> price, but when the vehicle showed up-3 days late- the driver wanted
> another $400 or so before he would unload the vehicle. I think
> Hagerty's recommends Reliable Carriers.
>
> Steve

--------------8BEF960C15E83036D7667C1B

  <head>
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
      transports always in search of a driver "going that way." And it
      seems cars can get left in yards because the route is nothing that
      any driver wants. After a period of time they accumulate "storage"
      fees.� Then there is the extra fee because the car wouldn't start
      (easily accomplished by leaving the radio on on the last leg -
      thus it never was a "real" problem). So, yes, do be diligent.</p>
      location. It was somewhat inspired by the fact the seller worked
      for Southwest and he gave me a free buddy pass. But even there I
      started reading horror story's about truck trailer rentals. In my
      case the lowly U-Haul did provide me with a 7,000 mile, 10 foot
      box truck (they don't rent pick ups with their trailers). But I
      read about people wanting/needing nothing more that a 10 foot
      truck and instead getting a 325,000 mile, 24 foot box truck that
      broke down mid-route. If I factored the need to have bought my own
      plane ticket it probably would have cost $1.50-$2.00 a mile to
      transport by myself - one way.<br>
cite="mid:BYAPR06MB4726D246E3D9191C03CB5B55D8930@BYAPR06MB4726.namprd06.prod.outlook.com">
        charset=windows-1252">
{margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;} </style>
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        I'm not sure of the specific company (I can get it if needed)
        but beware of "brokers". My son had a Jeep transported and went
        through a brokerage that contracts with independent drivers.
        They quoted a price, but when the vehicle showed up-3 days late-
        the driver wanted another $400 or so before he would unload the
        vehicle. I think Hagerty's recommends Reliable Carriers.</div>
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        Steve</div>

--------------8BEF960C15E83036D7667C1B--