RE: TR3A Gas tank padding material.

To: "'Gbouff1@aol.com'" <Gbouff1@aol.com>, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR3A Gas tank padding material.
From: Dennis Lambert <DLambert@anaheim.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 11:21:37 -0700 charset="iso-8859-1"
Gary,

The original gas tank padding was, indeed, a water retaining felt material.
There has been speculation that the water retention capabilities of the felt
were the primary reason for such extensive gas tank rusting in many
TR2-3B's.  When I replaced mine, I used a piece of foam from a
camping/sleeping mat.  I looks to be about 1/2" thick, fairly dense, closed
cell foam that worked nicely.  ISTR remember I got the idea from TeriAnn
Wakeman's web site, where she chronicles the restoration of her '61 TR-3A.
Visit the site - a lot of good info there  http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman/
.  If you really, really want to go original, I'll send you the pads that
came out of my '61 TR-3A.  Or, you can order padding from Moss, I suppose.

Dennis