OD success! plus exhaust hangar question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: OD success! plus exhaust hangar question
From: "Theodore R. Stevens" <stevens@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 13:53:34 -0400
Thanks to the suggestions of several listers, my new (to me) J-type
overdrive is now working (it had been stck on, with no wiring having been
hooked up yet).

Took a drive down the highway (pretty exciting with that driveshaft
spinning inches away with no cover) and lightly rapped the case with a ball
pein hammer.  Immediately dropped out of overdrive.  I then hooked up a
temporary toggle switch to the solenoid.  Overdrive engages and disengages
practically instantly! I'm trying to decide now whether to go with the
factory column-mount switch, or with a switch on/near the gearshift knob (a
la Volvo and Stag)

Now I just need to reinstall the interior and figure out an exhaust hangar
arrangment. With the 4-speed, the center exhaust support was attached with
the transmission mounting bolt. With the O/D transmission, the extension
"shelf" with the mounting holes for the 4-speed won't fit, so I need to
figure out how the center exhaust support for a 74 TR6 with overdrive ought
to be fastened.
---
Ted Stevens     stevens@erols.com
74 TR6          Gaithersburg, MD