Diagnostic of "burnt" valve

To: "tigerpb@ids.net" <tigerpb@ids.net>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: Diagnostic of "burnt" valve
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 08:02:12 -0400
I think there are many potential causes of a back fire than just a valve.
To diagnose a valve, do a compression test, then do it again with a teaspoon of
oil
down the cylinder.  Oil will seal the rings somewhat.

Backfiring could be an ignition timing issue.  It could also be a mixture issue.
I am not clear on all the causes of ignition in the exhaust manifold (rather
than in the cylinder).
Prehaps someone more expert than I will comment.

But, to check the valves, do a compression test.  You ought to do it prior to
purchase
anyway....

-Tony

Message text written by INTERNET:owner-triumphs-digest@autox.team.net