On the Road From Portland (Day 5)

To: TR List <Triumphs@autox.team.net>, TR8 List <TR8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>, "Peter Zaborski (TR)" <peterz@merak.com> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: On the Road From Portland (Day 5)
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 00:12:45 -0400
The plan was route 2 south to the US border and, time permitting, a quick
drive through the Glacier National Park.  That was the plan.  The reality
was that we missed a turn off that was required to stay on Rt 2 and before
we knew it we were in Bragg Creek.  We kept seeing signs that said Rt 66
but the only Rt 66 we could find was southwest of Calgary.  That's when we
decided to stop at the ranger station.  "Where are we?"  "Bragg Creek.
Where were you heading?"

We decided, at this point, to take Rt 22 south ("prettier drive") which
took us through Waterton National Park and then on to US customs.  "You
folks US citizens?"  "Yes."  "Bring anything back with you?"  "No."  "Have
a nice day."  So much for heightened security.

The "Driving To The Sun" road is worth the extra time as it winds its way
up the side of the mountain.  My carbs, which were set for sea level, were
oh, so rich at 6,500 ft.  The Idle dropped to below 500 RPM. and the
burbling and poping as we compression braked our way down the other side
was quite the aural treat.

Out the West Glacier exit, drive round to East Glacier and it is time for
dinner.  After dinner (7:00 local time) I figured we could get another
three hours of driving in on Rt 2 across the northern part of Montana.

Rt. 2.  The Theodor Roosevelt Internation Highway.  Runs form Portland to
Portland with part of it running through Ontario, Canada (there's that word
again). Well, now I've been to both Portlands (but not via the Teddy
Roosevelt Highway).  Rt 2 is flat, straight, wide and lightly travelled.
We make good time on it.  As good as we would on the interstate.  So far it
has been a good choice.

Dave Massey
On the Road in Havre, MT USA