Flowmaster exhaust...

To: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Subject: Flowmaster exhaust...
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 20:35:42 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by "Michael D. Porter"
>Helmholtz was a physics and electronics whiz, but he never designed a
muffler, to my knowledge. That's just a bullshit name they adopted for
marketing purposes. Your average hot-rodder doesn't know Helmholtz from
the Heimlich maneuver.
<

Ah, but Michael, the math is the same.  Direct analogies can be drawn
between electrical and mechanical systems.  Mass -> Capacitance, Spring
compliance -> Iinductance, Dampening -> Resistance.  Helmholtz was a
scientist of electrical physics but physics also extends to mechanical
systems and the math works the same.

Your comments about aluminized steel vs Stainless are right on, however.
And with our cars one good speed bump and all we have left on the bottom is
steel (the aluminum is left on the pavement).

Dave