Unknown frightening noise. TR3 Help requested

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Unknown frightening noise. TR3 Help requested
From: "Roger Colson" <sassamon@mediaone.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 21:35:58 -0400
Hello all,

I am now into month two of driving my TR3.

After attacking and eliminating the noises coming from loose bits.  Now
I can hear a disturbing noise coming from the engine area.

A friend has listened to it and is pretty sure that it is not bearing knock.
He said to describe it as sounding sort of dieselish.

The noise occurs after warm up and under acceleration.  The cut in
RPM will vary depending upon the road speed of the car.  The higher the
speed the higher the RPM the noise will start.  Because of the changing
RPM threshold I don't believe it is sympathetic vibration.

I can control the noise by opening and controlling the throttle.  I can get
on the edge and by curling my toes get the noise at will.

The engine pulls quite strong and compression is good on all four
cylinders.

Any thoughts as to what it may be and how to test will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Roger

Roger Colson
57 TR3  TS21383L