RE: Unknown frightening noise

To: "KTnKT" <ktnkt@cape.com>, "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Unknown frightening noise
From: "Eric Conrad" <econrad@teal.csn.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 08:36:00 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
Kevin,

I'll tell you that what you described is my experience exactly.  I found
bearing damage in my TR6.  What I suggest to you is, since you have the
engine out already, go all the way.  Keep in mind that the bearing problem
is most likely the result of a problem, not the cause.  In other words, look
everything over for signs of wear.

As I went through the engine, I found the culprit.  The DPO had either run
the car low on oil, or had not changed the oil often.  When this was
happening, the camshaft rounded out two lobes.  The metal had to go
somewhere.  First stop was the filter, but my guess is that that was full,
so it ended up being bypassed.  The metal ran through the engine, gouged the
bearings and crank.

Remember, if you can feel the gouge with your fingernail, it is deep enough
to require grinding and polishing.  Do look everything over, you'll feel
better.

Eric
'76 TR6 -- Purchased  for restoration.  When the engine knocked, it was time
to begin.  I'm now in the reassembly phase of the car.  Engine reassembly
and body work left.  My goal is another 6 or 7 months until it is finished.
After all, we have to drive 'em to enjoy 'em.