Re: German Female Undies And spellings?

To: Phil Ethier <pethier@isd.net>
Subject: Re: German Female Undies And spellings?
From: erl@unix.mail.virginia.edu
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 13:59:43 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Bill Gunshannon <bill@cs.scranton.edu>, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Mmdf-warning: Parse error in original version of preceding line at mail.virginia.edu
On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, Phil Ethier wrote:

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Bill Gunshannon <bill@cs.scranton.edu>
> To: Phil Ethier <pethier@isd.net>
> Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
> Date: Monday, August 21, 2000 1:34 PM
> Subject: Re: German Female Undies?

        The German word is "Fahrvergnuegen."  In German the "ue" is
actually a "u" with an umlaut over it.  Germans create compound words
while we in English frequently use two words.  "Fahr" is from the German
word "fahren" which means, amoung others, to drive.  The verb
"vergnuegen" means "to enjoy" something.  Thus, "Fahrvergnuegen" means
"to enjoy driving" or, "the enjoyment of driving."

Cheers.

Aug 2000, Phil Ethier wrote: > > > >>

> >> Remember that the first recorded use of the word "Farfinnuegan" (sp?) was
> in
> >> a German magazine review of an MG.
> >
> >The word is "fahrvergngen" and surely you didn't really think this was
> >something just made up to sound funny, did you??
>
> Of course not.  I just did not remember how to spell it.  I know it was
> first used in the 1930s.
>
> Phil Ethier    Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
> 1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Chev Suburban, 1962 Triumph TR4
> LOON, MAC   pethier@isd.net     http://www.mnautox.com/

James A. Ruffner