A twist to fan blades?

To: J&E <ebk@buffnet.net>
Subject: A twist to fan blades?
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 19:37:42 -0400
Cc: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by J&E
>       I know one of the ways to increase 'air flow' on ceiling fans is to
change the pitch. 10 degree pitch will Not move as much air as say a 18
degree pitch, keeping all thing equall. Therefore has anyone tried
twisting the fan blade to a greater pitch to increase a greater draw of
air to cause a greater "air flow" through the radator? -Cosmo Kramer

<

Cosmo,

Fan design is not a trivial thing and I would advise against significant
modifications to a fan that will be turning at as much as 5,000 RPM.  Yes
you can twist the fan blades to get a greater pitch and "grab" more air but
if you twist one more than the others or if you twist one in such a way
that it is out of radial alignment from where it once was you have an
imbalanced ending to your crankshaft.  Furthermore, if you twist it too
much you will fatigue the metal and a blade can fly off causing untold
damage.  (This happened to a friends Austin Healey.  He was luck in that
the only damage was a serious dent on the hood)

If you do this be very carefull.  Better yet, buy one of the improved model
fans and swap it out.

Dave Massey
St. Louis, MO USA