Update on Unknown frightening noise

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Update on Unknown frightening noise
From: "Roger Colson" <sassamon@mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 21:37:38 -0400
Hello listers,

This past weekend, armed with Plastigage, I attempted to measure the
bearing play in the engine.

After getting the car up on stands I found it a tight squeeze to get under.
 Still, I dropped the pan and attacked a rod bearing cap.  With both
bolts out I found I could not remove it.  After a while I decided that the
best way to check the bearings will be with the engine out of the car.
So I put the engine back together and filled up with 50 weight oil.

While the car was up I checked the front suspension.  Low and behold,
the source of the shimmy is apparent this inspection.  One of the castle
nuts on the upper a-arm is missing and the rubber bushing is gone.  On
the other side one of the upper a-arm castle nuts has unscrewed to the
end of the fulcrum pin.  The DPO had not used the cotter pins!

Tonight I put the missing parts in and took the car for a test drive.

The original noise is still present after the engine warms up.

I am becoming in tune with the noises of the car.  I can identify the prop
rod vibrating.  I can identify the front license plate vibrating.  I can hear
the 3-A bumper mounts knocking against the front apron.  By the time I
am done I could have a car with no vibration noises.  Not a chance :-)

Thank you for the suggestions about my problem.

Roger

Roger Colson
57 TR3  TS21383L
sassamon@mediaone.net