Good tool to have

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Subject: Good tool to have
From: "Roger Colson" <sassamon@mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 23:10:45 -0400
Randall and fellow listers,

What I found that worked a treat is a "geared box wrench" made by
Armstrong.  Can find them at McMaster Carr, Grainger, MSC, and other
finetool companies.  There are also a Taiwanese knock off available
sometimes at Sears.

I bought individual tools rather than the $et.  As Bob Lang told me most
of the fasteners in the Triumph can be handled with three wrenches.
7/16, 1/2, and 9/16.  I found that I will buy the 11/16 to wrench the
castle nuts on the front suspension this winter.

The ratchet end has a fine pitch ratchet of about 5 degrees per click and
the overall diameter is just a shade over my regular wrenches.

Break the torque seal with a regular wrench and then ratchet away.

Also very nice for working with oil filter canisters. :-)

> Well, you're a braver man than I <g>
> Pulling the front apron is NOT one of my favorite tasks, so most of my
> engine work has been done 'in-situ'.
>
> FWIW, I found that Home Depot sells a 7/16" box-end ratchet with an offset
> handle that makes pulling the front apron a lot less onerous.  I still try
> to avoid it ...
>
> Randall
>
> On Tuesday, August 29, 2000 7:12 PM, Roger Colson

Roger Colson
sassamon@mediaone.net