RE: TR3A Brake Job - HELP!!

To: "Hansen, Hans C, III \(Red\), BMSLS" <rhansen@att.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A Brake Job - HELP!!
From: "Eric Conrad" <econrad@teal.csn.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 16:49:12 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
Hans,
First, I don't have a TR3a, but I had the same problem with my TR6 frame off
restoration one week ago!  My problem was that only one drum would go on,
but not the other.  I had changed wheel cylinders, had backed the adjusters
off so the shoes were in as small of profile as possible.  Well, I decided
to swap what ended up being the two rear shoes from one side to the other.
The side that I could not get the drum on, now allowed the drum on, but the
other side now had the problem.

I checked the length and arc of the shoe (as best as I could using a ruler,
tape measure, and a dial caliper.  Turns out, my one rear shoes arc length
was too long.  I fit it into a vice and used a grinder to "size" the shoe to
the same specs of the other one - in other words, I ground the edge that fit
into the square-headed adjuster.  After this, both drums fit great!

One thing to note:  When trying to fit the drum on the affected side, the
drum would want to just take off a half a millimeter, or thereabouts, of
lining material.  If your drum wants to take off more that 1 to 1.5
millimeters, I might suggest that you should change to a different set of
brake shoes.

Good luck.

Eric Conrad
'76 TR6