Re: Id Plates?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Id Plates?
From: Will <tr6@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 17:01:12 +0000
>Hi LisTeRes:
>     I have a 76 Tr6 CF56728UO. I recently ordered a BHIMT "built" Cert.
>When I sent in the info needed to order. I noticed on the
>firewall/bulkhead, passenger side. My car had 2 ID plates. 1 Must be the
>body ID # What is the other?
>     Bob Greene
>PS: Just bought a 73 Spitfire. To corrupt my wife with.

Somewhere I did read about this, before putting these tags back on my
new shell....
If I remember correctly one tag is for a 'Body in white' number, this
was given to the body in primer (white). Ironically you should find
this tag is painted in body colour as it will have been on the
bulkhead when the car was sprayed. The other tag was a number given
to the body when in colour, I think it may have been called a trim
number, not sure though.

I have absolutely no idea why the factory gave the bodies two numbers
or why neither of them have a relationship with the final VIN.
Perhaps to confuse later restorers...I have decided to leave my body
in white tag in original mimosa for the same reason.
--
William Davies
1975 TR6 PI