gearbox

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: gearbox
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@borg.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 20:35:23 -0500
Gearbox experts,

I dissasembled the internals on a TR3A gearbox (non OD) for cleaning
and inspection and to my surprise the bronz bush for 2nd gear is cracked
at the collar. It almost appears that the bush is 2 parts. The bush wont
separate into 2 parts, the crack is about 75%. There is no evidence of
heat scorring, scratches, nicks or anything that could explain why this
part is cracked. All gears and shafts etc are in perfect shape. This
gearbox was on a 1959 that I owned way back in 1968 - 71 and the
transmission shifted like a dream. The 3 was involved in a terrible head
on collision which caused the transmission case to break right where the
bell hosing meets with the box proper. There is no other evidence of
damage from the collision. Could the impact have caused the crack?

Eventhough the part fits fine, I have decided to replace the bush with a
new one. Would hate to have it self destruct.

Has anyone else ever experienced this with a gearbox rebuild?

Bob Labuz

1958 TR3A
1974 T140V