RE: How B a BFH?

To: "'Boothroyd, Frank'" <Frank.Boothroyd@northatlantic.nf.ca>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: How B a BFH?
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 09:19:18 -0500
Put the hammer down!!!!   what you need is a breaker bar- essentially a
ratchet wrench without the ratchet, and longer for more leverage.  You may
be able to make do with a short length of pipe slipped over the end of a
standard ratchet wrench.  Big bolts like these will take a 'set' and require
a bit more torque to loosen than you might expect.  And they will loosen up
with a nice satisfying 'Pop'  when you have wrenched vigorously enough.  I
am not familiar with your "whatchamacallit" although, if it is anything like
the TR234 block, there are a couple bolts in the lower timing chain cover
which may need to be pulled out to allow the F main bearing cap to be
extracted.   check you manual on this....
Good luck.
Bob Westerdale
59 3A   TS36967

Okay, so I finally got my TR6's oil pan off.  And silly me, figured the rest
would be... well, not easy per se, but at least straight-forward.
WRONG.  I can't get at the screws to remove the whatchmacallit that's hiding
the front main bearing cap and when I go to the other end (where the main
bearing cap is nice and evident) I can't get the bolts loosened.

How B a BFH do I require!?  The bolts are supposed to be tightened to - what
was it?  Hell, I forget, but they seem to be on a lot tighter.  Any
suggestions for easing my task?
Cheers,
Frank
'73 TR6 with little metal bits in its oil pan that almost look like the
timing-chain-tensioner-holder-in-place-thing but not quite.