Re: PB Blaster vs SiliKroil (no LBC- Organic chemistry discussion of tox

To: Gospitt@aol.com
Subject: Re: PB Blaster vs SiliKroil (no LBC- Organic chemistry discussion of toxicity of the components)
From: Scott Bloomer <flaedersaft@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 21:39:18 -0600
Cc: andylit@voyager.net, rgreene@whoi.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net, pethier@isd.net
Ketone is an entire class of organic (= carbon-based) molecules.
The smallest member of the family is acetone, which used to be
very common in nail polish remover. It is highly flammable
and evaporates quickly, The ketone in this "mousemilk" stuff
is methyl isobutyl ketone, which means that on one end of the
ketone group is a single carbon with three hydrogens (methyl, as
in methyl alcohol) and on the other side is a four-carbon (=butyl_
chain bonded to the ketone group at one of the two interior
carbons (=iso). This molecule is not very common and has an
exposure limit of 100 parts per million. While this is pretty low,
the stuff is considered relatively innocuous because people
presumably don't use it for long periods of time and end up breathing
the vapors all day.
Isopropanol is one of the other components, this is the stuff in
rubbing alcohol. Not too dangerous if you don't drink it. The
really bad actor in the stuff is toluene, which has been demonstrated to
cause cancer. However, casual use is again not very dangerous because
cancer doesn't often develop by subjecting cells to occasional stress.

It is important that all of us pay attention to labels that say
"Use only with adequate ventilation." Usually nothing worse than
a headache occurs if you get a snort of organic solvents. But having
had a few diethyl ether headaches, you don't soon forget them.