Electrics

To: "INTERNET:Ct54531@aol.com" <Ct54531@aol.com>
Subject: Electrics
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 15:53:20 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by INTERNET:Ct54531@aol.com
>- Is it possible/acceptable/advisable/safe to just hook up the
>solenoid/starter to turn the engine over? If so, how? Just connect the
>battery terminals and let 'er rip? Any precautions?  Do I need to
reconnect
>the whole system or can I set something up where I can get power to the
>starter without completely reconnecting the wiring throughout the car.

Do you want to start it or just turn it over.  In either case, yes, all you
need is a battery and the starter and the solenoid.  You don't even need
the solenoid if you want to use a set of jumper cables.  Just hook one to
the starter terminal and take the other one on and off of the engine block
to start and stop the starter.  If you want to start the engine you will
need the solenoid so you can leave the battery connected to the block.  Run
another "hot" lead to the coil connection where the white wire would
connect.  remove this wire to kill the engine.

>- Horns. I have one from the 64 TR4 parts car and a new one from Moss. The

>one from the car has two spade receptors on it and the new one has four.
How
>come?

If you look closely you will see that the four terminals are actually two
pairs of two.  In other words, there are two terminals that are
electrically connected to each other and two more that are the same.  These
are used to "dasiy chain" the electrical connections to two horns.  You
don't need to use all four but if the hire harness has separate terminals
on the link wires from one horn to the other then you will need the four
terminal horn in that location.

>What's the relay (I presume that's what it is) that sits behind the
passenger
>side horn? It has four wires going into it from the harness and those
weren't
>disconencted except briefly (and recently) to spray a little touch up on
it.
>I've reconnected to the generator and have a single spade connector left
over
>with two wires that appear to be the same color running into it. I can't
tell
>the color but it's goldish or maybe even just dingy white. But the horn on

>that side has two spade receptors and I only have that single connector
left
>to connect to anything.
>Also, on the driver's side of the engine compartment (left hand drive) I
have
>two wires that I believe go to the horn but, as I said, the new horn from
>Moss has four connectors on it. Does it matter which two receptors I
connect
>the wires to?

I don't know about the relay but it may be a horn relay.  The two wires
need to go to two of the four connectors that are not electrically
connected.  Visual inspection will show which are connected as the two
pairs are attached by the same rivet.

Good luck

Dave