Stuck Engine

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Stuck Engine
From: Ct54531@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 10:22:43 EST
Does anyone have a quick overview of the various methods of unsticking an
engine (65 4A)? I know it's been discussed before and I did pay attention
(honest!) but since I'd turned it over before putting it up on blocks about a
year and a half ago, I didn't think it would really be stuck.
Now I have to say that I haven't pulled the starter and may do so but we put
power to the solenoid and what we got was a single sound that sounded like
the power got to the starter but the engine just wouldn't budge. (BTW,
though, when I hit the rubber button on the solenoid, about every third time
there was  different whirring/spinning sound coming from the starter).
We tried rolling the car with it in gear and got enough ooomph behind it to
make the car go forward but unfortunately the tires weren't rotating -- just
sliding along the ground. I know about turning the crankshaft and I gave that
a very halfhearted effort because I'm concerned about breaking something. In
that method, where exactly does one get the most efficient grip.
Also, a neighbor -- quite knowledgeable about cars (especially electrics and
he felt the sounds we heard were power getting to the starter and the bendix
gear being engaged so he felt the engine was stuck, too) -- suggested getting
at the flywheel with a pry and turning it from there. Is this a
viable/preferred suggestion? Easy to get to?
Any and all help appreciated. Thanks.

Jim
65 4A
CT54531L