Re: BMW "Z" and Triumph TR. Men's Cars? Long

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: BMW "Z" and Triumph TR. Men's Cars? Long
From: Will <tr6@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 13:40:10 +0000
>Listers...
>
>Get your flamethrowers ready...  :-)
>
>Laura noted correctly that there are very few women
>driving BMW "Z" cars.  Personally I'm not surprised.
>I don't think the car has much appeal to very many
>women, unlike say the 3-series convertible seems to.
>The Z is not "cute," like a Miata, it's styling is
>very aggressive looking.

Actually I see a lot of women driving BMW Z's in London. Not sure
what that says about women in London....

Maybe we have a very different Z series over here. I won't waste
bandwidth explaining my long held dislike of all things BMW (nothing
to do with engineering or design), but the first time I saw a Z I was
stunned - the first 'modern' sports car with individuality that I
really liked. I thought it had the graceful curves of a
Healy/spitfire, the look of power and  performance (even when
standing still) of a TR6, and individuality/character like a TR4/5. I
am sure I'll never own one as long as it has a BMW badge on
it....Perhaps BMW have held onto the Triumph name just for people
like me :-)

FWIW, saw a Z pulling out of my local petrol station with the hood
down yesterday, & yes its freezing here in London. Also true that I
see them with the hood up in summer, but isn't that true of all
sports cars when new, some first owners seem to have misunderstood
the whole concept...

--
William Davies
1975 TR6 PI