Re: More sudden death

To: Charlie Frazer <cfrazer@ballmer.uoregon.edu>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: More sudden death
From: "Martin A. Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 10:57:52 -0500
Charlie:

Your fuel pump is spewing gas, I believe, simply by virtue of it being lower
than the level of the fuel in your (nearly full?) gas tank.  A blockage between
the fuel pump and carbs is quite unlikely, but the way to check for that is to
pull carefully the fuel line at one of the carbs.  (Don't set yourself on fire
when you do this!)

I would not be particularly suspicious of a fuel pump failure, but when this
happens, the car won't run at all.  But lots of things can make the car not run
at all.  If you have a manual, follow the instructions for checking the fuel
pump -- basically, I believe, you have to disable the engine so it won't start,
disconnect the fuel line at the carb, and then, with an assistant, turn the
engine over a few times and look to see if the pump is pushing fuel.  Use a
catching container (not glass).

As I said, I think you'll find a problem in the ignition system.  If you have a
manual, look at the ignition section and try the various trouble shooting
methods.  For starters, are all your plug wires going to the right plugs?

--
Martin Secrest
72 TR6, 73 GT6