RE: NPG Coolant

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: NPG Coolant
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 13:46:57 -0800
John :

I've no direct experience, but what Evans neglects to mention up front is
that their coolant has a much lower heat capacity than water, so has to be
circulated faster in order to keep the same temperature differential between
the engine and radiator.  (A modified water pump is the 'simple'
modification they mention.)  In effect, their coolant can only be used in
engines designed to use it, or engines that are drastically over-cooled
using pure water.

Evans has agreed privately (to me) that our LBCs do not fall into either
category, thus cannot use their coolant without modifications.

I did once experiment (in desperation) with something similar in a TR3A,
pure ethylene glycol (which has a much higher boiling point than water or
water/antifreeze).  Result : one very ruined engine.

Randall