Re: TR4 fan replacement

To: <ebk@buffnet.net>, "TR List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 fan replacement
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 07:23:13 -0600
> My question is: if Bill G. 'inverts' the fan wouldn't the air move in
>the wrong direction.

No.  If you take off a fan and flip it around the other way and re-install
it, the direction of air flow remains the same.  (Don't believe it?  If you
take a nut off a bolt, and flip it around, the nut still fits.)  The
efficiency may suffer, though, due to the curvature of the fan blade.  I'd
be reluctant to invert a fan with serious curvature to the blades.

> I thought the idea of finding a shorter Damper [off of a TR3] was a
>good solution, but Brian's idea of a 'clutch' set-up on the fan is even
>better. But even Brian admits that some details needs to be worked out.
>-Cosmo Kramer

I'm tempted to leave the fan alone and install a "pusher" electric fan on
the front of the radiator.  Has anyone done this?  If so, what was the best
bang-for-the-buck electric fan for a TR4?

"It makes a nice noise when it goes faster"
- 4-year-old Adam, upon seeing a bitmap of Grandma Susie's TR4.