RE: Imagination?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Imagination?
From: Davies William-qswi646 <William.M.Davies@motorola.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 10:43:11 -0000

Just like earlier Spitfires, all Heralds have a tendancy to oversteer if
power is lifted or brakes applied when cornering - it's an inherent feature
of the swing spring arrangement. The Estate is actually better in this
respect than most as it has a stiffer and less cambered rear spring. There
are 2 ways to realistically improve the handling. One is to fit a swing
spring conversion from Canley Classics (John Kipping) in the UK. This gives
a very similar (though uprated) setup to a MkIV or 1500 Spitfire, and has
the added advantage of giving the rear end a lower stance. The other option
is the period camber comensator, currently remanufactured on both sides of
the Atlantic. The latter option gives a reduced ground clearance under the
diff, though is reputedly a very effective solution (I have no personal
experience of this modification),
        Cheers,
                Bill.

    /============\      William Mark Davies,
   /              \     RF Approvals Engineer,
 _/                \_   Motorola GSM Products Division,
/  \______________/  \  16 Euroway, Blagrove,
\__/ _____  _____ \__/  Swindon, SN5 8YQ, UK
====U============U====  Fax. Direct :  +44 (0) 1793 774128
\____________________/  Mobile      :  +44 (0) 7971 626491
 | |              | |   Email       :  William.M.Davies@motorola.com

" Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does
not become a monster. And when you look long into the abyss, the abyss
also looks into you. "
                           Friedrich  Nietzsche