RE: Electric Fan

To: "Biedermann, Frank (SSABSA)" <frank@ssabsa.sa.gov.au>
Subject: RE: Electric Fan
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 06:04:35 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net s mrd01.sa.gov.au>
>However, I am, as usual, happy to be set straight... And I'm not against
>electric
> fans per se, it's just I can't see how you could possibly gain any benefit
>in terms
>of horsepower

While I would admit some of the claims are a little outrageous, there are
truly benefiters of electric over mechanical and gaining a slight amount of
horsepower IS one of them -
As you may have already been informed, the main advantage is that properly
functioning, the electric is not operating except at idle.  While under way
at any speed over 20mph there should be sufficient airflow to cool the car,
and at that time the electric fan isn't drawing power, where a mechanical
one would.  Also, the modern electric has several advantages over the old
mechanical.  Good ones are MORE efficient than mechanical ones for the
intended usage because they operate at full efficiency when on.  A
mechanical one has to be a compromise for low speed (idle when you need it
most) and high speed engine operation (when you shouldn't really need it
and if designed for high idle speed airflow at high engine speed it would
likely pull your radiator off :-}).  The mechanical one uses hp when
cruising and during high speed when it's not really necessary for engine
cooling.  Flex fans are an even worse compromise and viscous clutches are
heavy, expensive, and still not as efficient.  An electric will not be used
during this time saving the horsepower required to operate the mechanical
one.  Lastly, even if the electric was on during some cruising and high
speed runs, because it's run at the same speed, designed for efficiency at
that speed it uses LESS power at that speed than any mechanical driven one
would use -
That's basically it-

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)