Re: Spitfire Body vs Commission Numbers

To: <William.M.Davies@motorola.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Body vs Commission Numbers
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 12:22:55 EST
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
In a message dated Mon, 29 Jan 2001 12:02:13 PM Eastern Standard Time, Davies
William-qswi646 <William.M.Davies@motorola.com> writes:

<< I'm sure this has been covered before, but it has only recently become
relevant to me. I am trying to find the Commission Number of a Mk1 Spitfire
which has the Body Number 6247 FC - the documents and commission
plate are not with the car. On Heralds there is no relationship between these
numbers, is this true of Spitfires? Does anyone have experience of BMIHT
tracing the Commission Number from the Body Number alone?  >>

I have heard that they can and will do such a trace for you. My observation
over the years is that, generally, Spitfire body numbers run a bit (usually in
the hundreds) LOWER than the corresponding commission numbers.

--Andy Mace