RE: TR4 fan / Our Technical minds need to know!

To: "Taffel, Sherman" <STaffel@bcps.k12.md.us>, CarlSereda@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR4 fan / Our Technical minds need to know!
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 14:53:15 -0800 . md.us>
 Taffel, Sherman wrote :

> I asked before if any list member knows if the threads on the TR4
> crank are
> the same as the TR-6 bolt,(TR-6's came stock with electric fans) but have
> yet to receive a reply (HELP HERE PLEASE?)

Threads are definitely not the same between TR4 and TR6.  But, I've never
heard of a TR-6 coming with an electric fan, either.  Certainly most did
not.  ISTR some (late) TR-7/8 did, but they also have a different crank
bolt.  However, the TR2-4A crank bolt is a standard UNF thread (sorry, don't
remember it offhand), you can buy a shorter crank bolt at a fastener supply
house (eg McMaster-Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/ ).  I found that I had to
build a special recessed washer to go under the bolt head, the hub isn't
quite long enough to clamp it firmly in place with a flat washer.  May just
be my current car, though, the last one worked fine with a flat washer.

> Also involved in this will be the change to the Alternator, as I doubt in
> the summer the generator could handle the electric fan, but I'll find out
> and report back.

It comes close, if you live in a climate where it cools off after dark.  The
generator has no hope of keeping up with both the headlights and fan, but
does OK with only one or the other (the fan draws about the same current as
the headlights, but only when it's running, which shouldn't be very often).

Randall
59 TR3A - with electric fan & alternator