TR6 Rear hub bearings

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Rear hub bearings
From: "Bryce Milton" <Bryce@Milton.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 19:09:39 -0800
    Looking at the tire wear on my rear-end, it's clear that I've got some
warning signs of trouble ahead - very unevenly worn...  The tires look fine
at a casual glance, but they are deeply worn on the inside showing that my
wheels are canted slightly inward.  I bought the car this summer and
according to receipts, the rear-end was completely rebuilt less than 2 years
and 7,000 miles ago but after some investigation, it turns out that the hubs
weren't rebuilt, rather they were replaced with used hubs in only marginally
better shape.  Add to this the fact that my bushings and springs are rather
tired looking, I think I need to do some work here before my rear-end comes
unraveled...  I'm told that doing a hub rebuild should only be undertaken by
someone with special tools as the wrong tools will invariably end up bending
the hubs and making a mess.  Is there any truth to this?  And if so, can
anyone recommend a good place in the Seattle area?  Also, could worn springs
and bushings really cause my tires to wear so unevenly?  The sqatting
rear-end reminds me of a VW bug and that doesn't seem consistent with the
way the rear suspension is put together on these cars.  When jacked up, the
hubs exhibit some very little amount of play, but not obviously enough to
cause that much wear.  Anyone have any guidance for a newbie here?  I'd love
to take this opportunity to make this rear-end as tight and nice handling as
possible.

-Bryce