RE: TR7/8 Seat Removal

To: Mike Madden <MMadden@samhealth.org>
Subject: RE: TR7/8 Seat Removal
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 17:46:41 -0500
Cc: "'Dave Massey'" <105671.471@compuserve.com>, "TR8 List (tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu)" <tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>, "Triumph List (triumphs@autox.team.net)" <triumphs@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h08MokRO007304
Message text written by Mike Madden
>I was able to get one of the remaining bolts out, but I have one left to
do.
It is the outboard, passenger, rear bolt.  Due to mine and the PO's former
efforts, the center of the bolt has been pretty much rounded out so nothing
grabs hold.  It is also locked up pretty well.

What are my options now?  Do I have to drill it out?  If so, how do I do
that?
<

Ouch!  This is a tough nut to crack (pun intended) because the outboard
bolts thread into captive, floating nuts and are not accessible from under
the car.  (I suspect the carpets spent a fair amount of time wet)

Drilling put the bolt will not be easy since it is a hardened bolt but slow
going with several drill sizes and lots of oil will get it out.

Good luck and use sharp bits.

Dave