modern paint fade

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: modern paint fade
From: a Wallace <wallaces@superaje.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 21:55:44 -0500
Cc: art.McEwen@moh.gov.on.ca
Art,
Couple of things. First, I will recommend to anyone who asks to definitely
do a rolling resto. vs. a body-off. Body-offs turn into years of no
driving; if you think you can do it pretty fast though, ask around and see
whether it has ever gone quickly for anyone. It sure hasn't for me; every
spring I really want to just drive, and I am at the point where I wouldn't
care how much of a beater it was. I would rather fix little things all
summer (and winter too!) than to ultimately have a perfect car but not be
able to drive it for (x + n) years.
Second, someone has mentioned that the paint mixing would have to be
identical each time. I'm not sure, as I am no painter, but the thinner is
clear so it seems like you might get thicker or thinner paint, but no
actual colour difference if the mix varied from one batch to the next. I am
presently painting a tractor part by part, mixing small batches at a time,
and I didn't think about this, and I know for certain my mixing was not
accurate, but I can't see any difference in the colour from one piece to
another. However I can see how the paint itself might change as it sits on
the shelf for a  few years, if certain pigments settle out more than
others. In fact I am going to go right now and shake that can sitting in
the basement!
All this is opinion only; there is abundant evidence that I am a much
better mechanic than a bodyman.

Jim Wallace
up the road in Franktown