TR6 Rear Axle

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net> FILETIME=[99248E40:01C2C7AB]
Subject: TR6 Rear Axle
From: "Williams, Bill (Atlanta)" <Bill.Williams@hp.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 09:32:13 -0600
Hi Guys,

I've had some "clunking" noise from the rear of my 74 TR6 for awhile.
The differential mounts are fine.

Last night, I put it on jack stands and found that the passenger side
rear axle was nice and snug.  However, on the driver's side there was
some play.  I had previously replaced both u-joints, but noticed the
yokes, that the u-joints slide into, looked worn and the new u-joints
did not make much of a difference.

Without removing the axle to verify, the u-joints appeared to be snug,
but there appeared to be some excess play in the splines.  I'm going to
yank the whole thing out tonight to verify where the excess play is.

The bottom line is that the whole assembly may be at the point where it
needs to be replaced.  Does anyone have a good source for the complete
rear axle assembly including the hub, inner and out shafts at a
reasonable price?

Thanks,

Bill
Atlanta