Re: TR4 Daily Driver Question

To: Triumph <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR4 Daily Driver Question
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 09:33:34 -0700
Carl Sereda wrote:

>Hi Robert, My choice would be to rebuild the TR4's original motor and tranny
>or sell the TR4 to help finance a more modern car.
> -----------------
>Robert wrote: I WILL start work on the  TR4. I want this to be a 2-3 day a
>week commute to work car.  The question  is, do I overhaul the existing
>engine, or do I change out to a non-British late model Nissan or Toyota?...
>Comments? Arguments?  What would you do?

Ah, Carl's brief answer shows more thought than my response. Robert, why
do you want to commute in a TR4? Depending on how extreme the
temperatures are where you live in New Mexico, maybe a well used Z3 or a
Miata would be a better choice. Denver's summers are relatively mild*
but I see many comfortable newer convertible drivers happily blasting
their A/C. Still, my hunch is you'll enjoy your old Triumph more on
those perfect days when you want to leave the [Civic|Suburban|Whatever]
at home. If you want a fun classic for sunny day commuting, your stock
TR4 will do the job nicely.

*Colorado summers are the height of mountain lion people-eating season,
plus there are the rockslides, and we're running out of drinking water.
Anyone thinking of relocation should move to California, I hear it's nice.

--
Steven Newell
Littleton, CO